Race Wins:
| Podiums:
| Top Tens:

Chico Stage Race

Published by HPCCycling on 13 Mar 2016

When I picked up my teammate, Adam, on the Thursday afternoon preceding Chico

Stage Race, we loaded his bikes and gear into my car and I asked him “You know how to drive

stick, right?” He stammered a little bit and replied “I think I’m good once I get up to speed.” It

was almost three in the afternoon. Eight hours of driving opened up ahead of me. “Where’s

your closest coffee shop?” I asked. Happily, there are far worse drives in the world than the I-5

corridor through Southern Oregon and far NorCal. In-n-Out Burger recently opened an outpost

in Medford, for example. I set the cruise control, aiming for a 10:30 arrival in Chico, California.

It’s been raining steadily for months in Portland, and when we stepped out of the cars

that night at our host’s house, the scents of California drifted through the air: eucalyptus,

maybe, coupled with a sharp, piney odor I’ve never been able to place. Cedar? Cypress? My

aunt and uncle live in Orinda, just east of San Francisco, and I swear the whole state smells

amazing. In an added benefit, we could look up and see the stars, a rare sight this past winter in


The Chico Stage Race opens on a Friday, as most stage races do, this particular iteration

with a circuit race at the Thunderhill Raceway, which is about an hour’s drive from Chico (the

race should probably be called The Willow/Paskenta/Chico Stage Race, but that doesn’t exactly

roll off the tongue). Fed a diet of Portland International Raceway circuits back home, I wasn’t

prepared for Thunderhill’s lumpy (but very fun) profile. There is a short but very steep puncher

of a hill, and then a one-minute drag climb. The course also features two high speed 180-degree

hairpins, coming after the descent from the second climb. The finishing straight is almost 500

meters long, which meant metering your final effort was important. As most initial stages go,

this one was a little choppy and frenetic: lots of scared Category 2 riders, out for their first

competition of the season, yelling at each other. Adam and I rolled around in the bunch, fairly

comfortable. I took a flyer late, and brought two other riders with me. We managed to pry

away about a fifteen second gap by the second climb on the lap, but got brought back with just

over a lap to go. There was the inevitable crash at the finish, which neither of us got caught up

in. We stayed to watch the women’s race, cheering for Portlanders Beth Ann Orton, Anna Grace

Christensen, Clara Honsinger, and Brenna Wrye-Simpson (among others—there were other

Oregonians, for sure, but I can’t list everyone, right?), and lying around in the sun. Adam

answered a work emergency on his phone, and we piled back into the car to drive back to

Chico, already fueling for our race on Saturday, which began early at 8 am.

The road race, also an hour distant from Chico, rolls out of the Buckhorn Recreation

Area, a campsite nestled up against the east side of California’s Coastal Range. Future racers, I

think the pro move would be to rent an RV and camp at Buckhorn, as it’s close to Thunderhill.

You could then roll into Chico for your final night Saturday night. That’s for 2017, however. The

road race (for the Category 2 men, P/1/2/3 women, 1/2/3 35+ men, and P/1 men) is 90 miles

long, largely flat to rolling, with 4 miles of gravel each lap. It’s a fairly straightforward affair,

with the only wrinkles being the aforementioned gravel (which is pretty easy gravel, as far as

gravel goes) and the lead-in to the gravel, which is what riding in 1980’s Beirut must have been

like: cratered, potholed, dangerous. On the first lap I’d been caught at the back, trying to pee,

and had to ride that section at the back of the race, which was a mistake. I moved up during the

gravel section, thanking the long hours I’ve put in on the cyclocross bike this winter in

Portland’s Forest Park. By the time Adam and I exited the gravel on the first lap, we’d made it to

the head of the race, which is where we stayed for the rest of the race.

Almost, the head of the race, I should say. A few attacks went, halfheartedly, and were

brought back, but then one of those half-hearted attacks seemed to work. A rider from the

Lux/Stradling squad kinda rolled off the front of the field. A few minutes later Justin Onusko,

from Oregon, also rolled away, eventually joining the Lux rider (Bo Knickman). The field seemed

unconcerned, letting the gap grow to 1:20 before whittling it down to :40 as we finished the

first lap. At one point a rider from Dolce Vita/Freewheel had also ventured across, and about

four miles from hitting the gravel a second time, another of their riders made a speculative

bridge attempt. This is when Adam and I should have been more vigilant. The gap seemed

small, the field seemed content to bring it back during the gravel or after the gravel.

Unfortunately, with two riders from the same team in the breakaway, they redoubled their

efforts, dropping Onusko and beginning to put time into the field. Adam and I had planned for

me to go to the front halfway through the gravel and try to force a split, which I did, breaking a

small group of riders off the back of the field. But, as we exited the gravel and climbed through

the feed zone, the pack slowed. Up ahead, the three man break (two Dolce Vita riders and

Knickman) swelled the lead, which would eventually reach over four minutes. Adam and I

worked hard at the front of the field, but to no avail—we’d left it too late, and the all Cat 2 field

was tired. Adam made a brave solo attempt one kilometer from the finish, but was swamped

just at the line. I got caught behind a small gap and surrendered ten seconds on the stage, time

that I would rue losing later. Still, both of us came through the stage unscathed and not too

tired (another sign we should have worked harder, earlier).

Sunday brought the time trial in the morning and the crit in the afternoon. With the race

mostly decided, the time trial would mostly reshuffle the top fifteen. Riding teammate Steven

“With a V” Beardsley’s time trial bike, I managed tenth in the event, finishing in 21:51, :46 down

from the winner and a scant :22 from second. I moved up to 14th ahead of the crit, but the ten

seconds I lost to the field on stage two now separated me from 11th. The crit was great fun: fast,

smooth pavement, non-technical. I stayed safe, aiming at holding on to my 14th place, which is

where I finished, out of danger.

If you don’t learn something from every race, you’re not developing, and in this race (as

with some of my other races this spring and last year), I was reminded that I need to be more

aggressive, especially in Cat 2-only fields. Both Adam and I were strong enough to exert a little

more will on this race, especially during the road race. The big upside, however, is that the first

big race of the season is behind us, the cranks have been turned in anger, and we came away

with a solid result. Maybe not the result we wanted, but we didn’t leave empty-handed.


Word from Chris Bagg.

Add new comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.